Tuesday, April 29, 2008

My Plans for the Fall (or maybe sooner if I can get it all together to start)

This is the plan that I have got worked out so far for my 3 dc that are still being homeschooled. This year has been kind of relaxed, but I would like to have a little more structure next year. Although, my dd is 4 (5 in June) and my dss13 and dss15 have special needs, so I don't want to be overly rigorous. I just need to find that sweet spot in the middle, KWIM? So anyway, here is my plan:

dss15: Oral reading: McGuffey's Reader (not sure what level yet)
Writing: Oral Narration (Andrew Lang's Fairy Books)
Spelling: Simply Spelling (not sure what level yet)
Grammar: Need help on this one.
Literature: 1000 Good Books List grades 4-6 selections; participate
in family read aloud.
Math: Right Start B (this was the level recommended by the
Right Start representative)
History: James Baldwin books (50 Famous People, 50 Famous
Stories Retold, Thirty More Famous Stories Retold)
Edward Eggleston book (Stories of Great Americans
for Little Americans)
American Experience Documentaries (one a week)
Science: Nature Study (Mostly I am just going to learn this
myself this year so I can teach them better
afterward and just kind of have them along for
the ride this year)
Bible: Ergemeier's Bible Story Book (and assign reading of
corresponding Bible passage in Bible)

ds13: Oral Reading: VDB or McGuffey Readers?
Writing: Oral Narration (From history readings)
Spelling: Simply Spelling (not sure what level yet)
Grammar: need help on this one.
Literature: 1000 Good Books List grades 1-3 advanced selections;
participate in the family read aloud.
Math, History, Science and Bible: same as ds15

dd4: Phonics: OPGTR, Family Readers
Writing: RFH K;
Oral Narration (Aesop's Fables)
Literature: 1000 Good Books List grades 1-3 Picture Books;
Andrew Lang's Fairy Books; participate in family
read aloud
Math: Right Start A
History and Science: Same as ds15 and ds13 except for the
documentaries (although she can watch
them if she wants to)
Bible: Ergemeier's Bible Story Book

I also want to add some daily poetry, but I am still trying to decide what to use for this. I want to do some memory work also, especially scripture and poetry memorization. I probably won't do fine arts or foreign language with the kids this year. I need a chance to get these things running smoothly and cemented in our routine before I add anything else. Also, getting a routine for home management down is a DESPERATE need for us this year. Once I am comfortable with doing this much, then I plan to start adding in some of the other things.

0 comments: